|Image courtesy: freedigitalphotos.net|
Wednesday, 17 July 2013
I often get queries from people asking me advice on how to became a freelance writer. I feel it is quite flattering but at the same time becomes difficult to explain each time. To make it easier on everyone, I figured it made sense to write about the top 10 tips to become a successful freelance writer and next time someone asks me, I can just pass them this link.
These days content writing has become one of the most common freelance activity one can do, sitting in the comfort of their homes. This does not mean anyone and everyone can become a successful freelance writer. Though it sounds easy, you need to possess a certain skill set to be successful, just like you need for any other job.
Here are the tips for you:
1) Love for writing: You need to love writing and have a flair for it. If you eat, sleep and dream writing, then this job is perfect for you. Not only will you need that passion but also the creativity to write on a variety of subjects.
2) Proficiency in grammar: Being proficient in grammar is a necessity. Without good grammar your writing will be like a ship without sails. Poor grammar will not get you good writing gigs and you will also earn significantly lower.
3) Passionate about reading : All successful writers read a lot as it helps them to not only increase their vocabulary, but also helps them to learn many different styles of writing.
4) Good typing skills: Since you will need to write a lot as a freelance writer, it is imperative that you develop good typing skills and know how to work on a computer.
5) Good vocabulary: Having a rich vocabulary will help you create content that is appealing to the reader, which in turn will pay you better.
6) Compromise: When you are just starting out as a freelance writer, you might find it difficult to find work. There are plenty of online sites that provide work where you can go and bid. You might have to quote a lesser price till you build your portfolio. Once you are established, you can ask for the price you want.
7) Start your own blog: This will give you an opportunity to exercise your grey cells. A blog will also help you to get feedback from readers. This will help you understand where you need to improve and what works with the readers.
8) Time management skills are important. As you will be working on your own, there will ample opportunities to get lost in the swirl of social media websites such as Facebook and Twitter. This can be disastrous and you can forget about your deadlines. You need to carefully plan all your assignments and stick to the timetable.
9) Make a good online profile. If you can have your own website, it will act as your online business card and help you get more work. Include the work you have done for clients in your website.
10) Last but not the least, patience and perseverance are inherent qualities of a good freelance writer. Even when you face difficulties the key to success is to keep searching for work with perseverance. You will take time to build a reputation so you need to be patient.
Hope these tips help you in your endeavour to becoming a freelance writer. If you are already an expert freelance writer, what has been your experience?
I would love to know your views.