The arrival of Monsoon in India means lush greenery blankets everything. The smell of the damp earth rises and seeps into your entire being and stirs a longing. The parched earth is soaked and everywhere you see the earth is welcoming this precious nectar.
I have always had mixed feelings about the Monsoon. Most people consider Monsoon to be a romantic season.
There are things I don't like when it rains too much.
The muddy roads: It is such a pain to go walking, you always end up with muddy shoes, muddy feet, dirty clothes..I guess you got my drift
The clothes don't dry for days and they even smell if not aired properly.
You can never wear white clothes for the fear of getting splashed with rainwater.
Everything that is crisp and crunchy goes soggy.
The FLU and runny noses. The cough and cold, and people falling ill at the drop of a hat.
Frizzy hair and unruly mane.
I miss the Sunshine terribly and I have had my fill of rains after living for 3 years in UK.
But I do love some things that are a part of Monsoons.
The air cools down after the hot Summer months.
Roasted corn on the cob, hot soup, the smell of Earth, the Greenery.
Waterfalls and lush Green hills.
Eating hot Onion Pakodas with Ginger tea.
Monsoon has its magical effect even on the leading ladies of Bollywood. It used to be compulsory in the 1990's for every heroine to get drenched in the rains wearing a white sari to entice the Hero. There are many songs about rains in our Movies and romance has been the essence of most of them.
Here is my pick of the top 20 songs.
1) Lagi aaj sawan ki phir wo - Chandni
2) Parbat se Kali Ghata Takarai - Chandni
3) Ek Ladki Bheegi Bhagi si - Chalti ka naam Gadi
4) Rimzim Gire Sawan- Manzil
5) Badal Yun Garajta hai - Betaab
6) Choti si Kahani se - Ijaazat
7) Tip Tip barsa Pani- Mohra
8) Rijhim Rimjhim - 1942 A love Story
9) Ghanan Ghanan- Lagaan
10) Bhaage re mann kahi -Chameli
11) Hum Tum- HumTum
12) Ye Saazish hai boondo ki- Fanaa
14) Barso re Megha - Guru
15) Boondon se Baate- Thakshak
16) Aankhon se tune ye- Ghulam
17) Ye raat bheegi bheegi- Chori Chori
18) Ab ke sajan saawan mein- Chupke Chupke
19) Ghode Jaisi chal, Hathi jaisi dum - Dil to pagal hai
So what do you love and hate about Monsoons, and what is your favourite rain song?
I will leave you with this wonderful song which inspired me for the title of this post :)