Most of us are scared to use this word thinking it to be bad. It has been instilled in us since childhood, Saying 'NO' is considered to be wrong. When did we forget the art of saying 'No'?
I am sure most of us at the age of two were quite capable of doing so, did we forget it as we grew older?
We have been taught to be people pleaser's, whether we like it or not, we want to avoid the anxiety the word 'NO' will cause and hence we land up with too much on our plate.
Self Help Gurus might call this low self esteem or a sign of weakness but I believe it is inherent nature in us to be agreeable and try to fit in.
How many times have you been asked for a favour by a friend or relative and you wanted to refuse but you did not?
1) Friends expecting you to always be there for them.
2) Relatives making excessive demand of your time.
3) Your boss wants you to handle additional work because your colleague is off on a holiday and you are already working late hours.
4) Pushy people asking for too many favours.
5) Fending telemarketers and annoying phone calls.
The simple word 'NO' is sometimes the most difficult to say. I find it difficult to say it too and most times not to feel guilty for refusing someone I end up holding bad end of the bargain.
I am learning to say no without being rude or angry but sometimes I wish life had a 'IGNORE' button just like Facebook.
What has been your experience, can you say 'NO' to people? If you can, do share your pearls of wisdom with me.