Just like Indian movies have their famous lines 'Kitne Admi the? (How many men were there) from the movie 'Sholay' and 'Mere pass maa hai' from the movie 'Deewar', here are a few of my personal favourites from some specatcular English movies.
1) "Houston, we have a problem."
This is a line from the movie Apollo 13 where stranded astronauts on a mission to the moon struggle to survive in a crippled aircraft some 205000 miles from the earth.
2) "My mama always said, 'Life is (was) like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."
The words made famous by Tom Hanks from the movie 'Forrest Gump'. A story of a simple minded man who proved determination, love and courage are the most important things in life and you can achieve anything.
3) "After all, tomorrow is another day!"
Scarlett O'hara from the movie 'Gone with the Wind' made these words famous. An epic tale of a woman's journey through the most difficult time in American history.
4) "A martini. Shaken, not stirred."
James bond 007 signatory drink. So many of us try to copy his charisma.
5) "Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."
The closing lines from the great movie 'Casablanca'.
6) "I am just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her."
These lines go through every woman's mind. I am a sucker for romantic movies especially, 'Notting Hill'.
7) "Sometimes I wonder about my life. I lead a small life - well, valuable, but small - and sometimes I wonder, do I do it because I like it, or because I haven't been brave? So much of what I see reminds me of something I read in a book, when shouldn't it be the other way around? I don't really want an answer. I just want to send this cosmic question out into the void. So good night, dear void."
It does make you wonder about your own life, right? Beautiful lines uttered by Meg Ryan as 'Kathleen Kelly' from the movie 'You've got Mail'.
8) [Harry and Sally discussing orgasms]
Sally Albright: Most women at one time or another have faked it.
Harry Burns: Well, they haven't faked it with me.
Sally Albright: How do you know?
Harry Burns: Because I know.
Sally Albright: Oh. Right. Thats right. I forgot. Youre a man.
Harry Burns: What was that supposed to mean?
Sally Albright: Nothing. Its just that all men are sure it never happened to them and all women at one time or other have done it so you do the math.
This is followed by the famous fake orgasm by Meg Ryan from the movie 'When Harry met Sally'. This movie never fails to make me laugh.
9) "I love that you get cold when it is 71 degrees out. I love that it takes you an hour and a half to order a sandwich. I love that you get a little crinkle in your nose when you're looking at me like I'm nuts. I love that after I spend day with you, I can still smell your perfume on my clothes. And I love that you are the last person I want to talk to before I go to sleep at night. And it's not because I'm lonely, and it's not because it's New Year's Eve. I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible."
Another winner from When Harry met Sally'
10) "I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse".
The menacing words spoken by Don Vito Corleone in 'The Godfather' the best ever American gangster film ever made.
Being a huge movie buff, these lines have left a mark on my mind. These lines have become so famous and memorable that even if we want to, we can not forget these Movies.
Please add on to this list if I have forgotten any other famous lines.
I leave you with "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn," spoken by Clark Gable in the celebrated Civil War epic, GONE WITH THE WIND, which was voted as the most memorable movie quote of all time by the American Film Institute.